TEL 0845 30 10 365 | DELIVERY CHARGES | YOUR SHOPPING BAG | CHECKOUT

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Inspirational horse riding at London Paralympics 2012

There can be nothing more inspiring than seeing the Paralympic Equestrian competitors ride into the arena to perform their tests and, having been up to Greenwich Park to see the athletes compete for medals in this discipline, I can safely say that every salute to the judges bought a lump to my throat.
We saw riders with the most serious of disabilities and though some of them had special horse bridles, saddles, and assistive devices such as dressage crops and connecting rein bars, essentially they use extreme skill and connection with their horse to navigate the tests.

My daughter and I were lucky enough to see Lee Pearson and Gentleman on the Saturday afternoon, and although he did not retain his title as Paralympic champion, he rode a magnificent test and was only pipped by hundredths of a percent into silver by Joann Formosa, the Australian rider on Worldwide PB.

I have to say, as a non-riding mum of an aspiring three-day-eventer (six months of lessons in and she's loving every moment on horseback), I was totally in awe of the riders in that fabulous London arena. The atmosphere was brilliant, the crowd were hugely respectful and the horses and riders were truly inspirational.

And with every final halt and salute, knowing that both horse and rider had ridden their hearts out, a tear would spring to my eye. I could have jumped for joy every time a test was finished, but I didn't, of course, I just waved and waved.

Well done to all who entered, whether they won or lost, they were all awesome in my eyes and I know I will be following the Paralympians' progress in years to come.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home